23 July 2014

limed

There are so many puns and cheesy jokes I could pull out of this post, but I'll try to refrain.  :)

For the past two weeks, my local grocery store has been stocking limes 20 for $1!  Is that a steal or what???  When you can get limes for 5 cents each, obviously you need to make limeade!  A friend suggested I should make margaritas instead, but after researching how expensive tequila and triple sec (or Cointreau if that floats your boat) are, I nixed that idea.  Not to mention it's not fun to drink by yourself . . .

I use a manual juicer, because 1. that's all we have in this house, and 2. the pulp is so tightly compacted that you'd need to dig in with your fingers even if you were using an electric juicer.  To the lime juice I add a simple syrup, which I then store in a recycled Trader Joe's salsa jar in the fridge.

This is eight limes juiced + the simple syrup.

Then, I simply combine lime concentrate, water, and ice when I want to have some limeade.

Voila!

Here's a version from last week where I added fresh mint.

limeade

ingredients:
8 limes
4 tbsp. sugar (adjust to taste)
1/4 cup hot water
cold water 
ice

directions:
1. juice limes.
2. combine sugar and hot water to make simple syrup.
3. add simple syrup to lime juice and store in refrigerator.

to enjoy limeade:
1. combine 8 tbsp. lime concentrate with water and ice, to taste.
2. (optional) add fresh mint or basil for a little extra kick.

Thanks for reading.

cheers,
Serfy



No comments:

Post a Comment