29 July 2014

end of summer session

(Not very good at posting, am I?  Nope.  Oh well.  This is mostly for my own edification anyway.)

The 26th marked the end of my studio's summer session!  I'm done with my first prolonged, dedicated time of teaching.  And *newsflash* I still enjoy it.  This is big for me, because I have always bristled at the "Are you gonna be a teacher?" question whenever people find out I study piano.  But I've actually learned a lot already and am coming to see the importance and difficulty of being a beginning piano teacher.

Here are some things that I've learned I need to work on!

1. Learn how to simplify concepts: whether it's using smaller words or including tons of relatable analogies, how do I explain something very abstract?

2. Sequenced learning: an example of this is teaching hand position.  With beginning students I stress using a curved hand position and strong fingers, but eventually the student will need to play passages with flattened fingers or a higher wrist.  I have a tendency to try to qualify my statements instead of understanding that I can't overload the student with the future.

3. Teaching five year old beginners vs. 6th grader transfers: I recently taught a trial lesson to a rising 6th grader who had had five years of piano lessons already.  I have a feeling that's gonna be way harder than teaching my easily distracted five year old twins.  This transfer has a plethora of bad habits, not to mention that middle school is such a treacherous season to navigate.  I'll have to work really hard to be have clear and strong expectations without crushing her love for music.

4. Speak less: more succinct, less verbose.  I am just so . . . wordy!

5. Get to know more early rep: I can't rely on what I grew up with because a lot of that is outdated.  I need to learn all my options now and become familiar with them.  At a recent meeting with our ISMTA mentor, the "Snell Repertoire" kept coming up.  I had never used or heard of that series before so I was mighty confused.  Apparently it's the standardest of the standard!

6. Manage lesson time better: I have yet to learn the secret of balance.  I run way over, spend too much time going over assignments and send the kid home with all new stuff . . . you get the idea.

7. Communicate more clearly with parents: I think I just have to be more up front and ask them, especially those of younger students, to do certain things or to help little Johnny when he's practicing at him.  Just being clearer with expectations and the parents' role in piano lessons.

8. Develop expectations and goals for each student (and/or parent): it's been a little tough to do this for summer session because it's so short, but I know come fall, this will be essential to help me track each student's progress.

Those are just a couple things.  As I go into my August break, hopefully I'll be able to spend some time researching, studying, and preparing for the fall.

Thanks for reading!

cheers,
Serfy

No comments:

Post a Comment